Wednesday, June 12, 2013

For the Love of "Likes"


It is not good to eat too much honey,
nor is it honorable for people to seek their own glory.
Proverbs 25:27

I love honey, so it's hard for me to know when I've had too much. Unfortunately, the same is true of glory.

I read that verse this morning in my devotions--just AFTER checking for "Likes" on Facebook and "Comments" on an article that I wrote for an on-line magazine. It's almost like God caught me red-handed! Yes, indeed, I was seeking glory for myself. 

I like to be "Liked!" I love to be "Favorited!" and I almost go gaga over "Comments." There is something seriously wrong with that. 

I could honestly say that my heart's desire is to bring honor and glory to God; yet, there is this remnant of my fallen humanity that still seeks glory for herself. Why? What value is the praise of men when I have the love and acceptance of the Father? It feeds the old ego, that's for sure. 

But really, what's the harm? So I get a kick out of people "liking" my status. Who is it hurting anyway? 

I go back to the verse for my answer. The proverb begins with a comparison. Too much honey.... Honey isn't bad. A bit of honey is downright delicious. In the same way, praise in and of itself is not bad. We are called to encourage one another and to speak well of one another. The problem comes from the seeking of it. From the addiction to it. From the need for it. 

And so I think it is okay to smile when I see that someone has commented on my blog or "liked" my Facebook status. But it is not okay for me to work diligently at writing a blog or crafting a status update for the purpose of soliciting the praise of others. Its not okay for me to find my identity and my worth through those venues. Its not okay to get depressed and eat 5 Magnum Bars when no one "favorites" my tweet. 

So what's a girl to do when her status sits unacknowledged by all her social networks? 

I need to take my eyes off the screen and turn them to the Savior. He does so much more than click "Like" or "Re-tweet!" Jesus "Favorited" me the day he died for me. He "shared" his status with me by making me his joint-heir. He "links" me to his goodness and grace every single day. What more could I possibly need? 

May everything I post and tweet and blog be for HIS glorious praise. He alone is worthy.

4 comments:

  1. I've been struggling with this myself. It's nice to know I'm not alone. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leigh, I think there's a lot of us out there! Blessings to you, too.

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed this ... well, enjoyed, may not be the right word ... it was very true to my life. I especially loved how you concluded it, using today's social media and turning it to how we should view our relationship with Jesus ... I loved: "Jesus "Favorited" me the day he died for me." YES!

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS