Saturday, January 12, 2013

Hooray for les SOLDES !

I do not shop for clothes very often. Seriously. I go clothes shopping about once every two years. But when the urge hits it is unstoppable.

Yesterday, while I was walking Gemma around town, I noticed all the SOLDES (SALES!) signs in the shop windows. In France, all the stores....stores of every kind....have their sales the same weeks of the year. This week was the week of winter sales, and as pairs of shoes and sweaters started catching my eye, I knew that I was feeling the call of the feminine wild:

MUST. BUY. NEW. CLOTHES.

I took Gemma home, placed a calm arm on my husband's shoulder, and announced, "I don't mean to shock you, but I am going shopping."

He didn't bother to protest. After 20 years of marriage, he knows how I roll. He sees it as one expensive day that comes around every 24-30 months. Like a bi-annual tax of sorts. He told me which account to use and set me loose.

It was, honestly, the first time I've gone clothes shopping since we moved to Loches. I met the nicest women who eagerly offered advice each time I exited the tiny fitting room. I loved the shopkeepers, who could tell me what size I needed depending on whether the piece of clothing was made in Italy or France. I got a dress, a jacket, a skirt, a sweater, a turtleneck, two pairs of tights, a  necklace, a pair of shoes, and a pair of boots.

Now I will go through my wardrobe and see how my new pieces can integrate with what I already have to make multiple new outfits. I will also weed out pieces that are outdated, tired, or neglected.

Just because I don't shop often does not mean that I don't love clothes. Au contraire ! Je les adore ! I just seem to function on a fashion cycle that I myself cannot predict  or anticipate. Because of its infrequence, I choose to just go with it. And I am typically very happy with the results.

2 comments:

  1. I only wish I could be that type of person. For me, every time I go into some place that sells clothes/boots/jewerly, I can't help but buy at least SOMETHING (or go crazy because I can't afford anything). That ain't gonna' help me in my marriage someday, I'm guessing...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Need to see pictures my dearest! Cannot wait to see you in person. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS