Monday, March 30, 2009

Helpless, but not Hopeless!

It was Sunday evening--our weekly time for family prayer. Graham had been sick for about 5 days, so his health was on our list of prayer requests. In an effort to get a full grasp on his condition, I asked a fairly clinical question: "Are you having diarrhea?" Only I forgot that in my house you can't say the word "diarrhea" without someone breaking into song. Last night, Chandler began "When you're sliding into first, and you feel a sudden burst: diarrhea, diarrhea." Graham shook his head, trying not to laugh. I (I can't believe I'm admitting this) joined in the next verse "When you're riding in your Chevy and your pants are feeling heavy: diarrhea, diarrhea."

Meanwhile, dear David tried to reel us in. FOCUS. Only Chandler, Graham, and I were laughing so hard at this point that we were crying. No, I do not really find the diarrhea song all that funny. I think we just needed a good laugh. Or a good cry. For reasons beyond our control, it's been a LONG week!

Finally, David reigned us in, and began to lead us in prayer. Despite our depravity (or maybe because of it) the Lord graciously heard our prayers and filled us with His love, His grace, and His hope. It is moments like these that cause me to relate so completely to the words of the Hymn, It is Well:
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
and hath shed his own blood for my soul.
My helpless estate: I laugh at vulgarity, I giggle at prayer time, I let the circumstances of my week take a toll on my redeemed soul. And yet, Christ shed His blood for me. I will never cease to be amazed!

1 comment:

  1. Well, he is the God of laughter... We will never forget that!

    ReplyDelete

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS