Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Dear David,

I am writing to make sure you know that I trust you and your leadership of our family. Sometimes I get nervous about the path ahead, and I bombard you with questions and concerns. You are always gracious and kind in response. But no matter what I ask or how I ask it, I want you to know that I have confidence in you because you put your hope in God.

This morning while I was praying about all the unknowns before us, I felt that famous peace that passes understanding. I was reminded that God is with us, He hems us in behind and before, He never leaves us nor forsakes us. That is definitely peace-giving. But I was also reminded that you, David Ross, have been given the mantle of leadership for our family, and as you continually lay down your life for me in love, I can boldly submit to your unassuming authority.

By the way, thank you for not demanding or even asking this of me. You lead with gentle influence rather than impatient prodding, which means that following is entirely up to me. You have not seemed the least bit irritated with me, nor bothered by my questioning, which, quite honestly, has been a bit of foot dragging on my part. Don't get me wrong. I want to go to France. I am called to go to France. I just sometimes feel caught in a mighty undertow, and my instinct is to fight it. But really, that undertow is from God, and it is taking us to where he wants us to be. I need to submit to that fully--which you have done--setting an example that I am compelled to follow.

You lead by simply doing the next right thing, even when I am not yet on board. Truthfully, sometimes I haven't even bought my ticket. Still, you do not tell me what I should do, or how to do it. In fact, you listen patiently to all my concerns, carefully address them, and then you move in the direction in which you have been called. Immediate costly obedience--that's YOU! And you trust the Lord in me enough to know that you do not have to demand that I move when you move. You are willing to give the Spirit time to work in me, and you trust that I will obey Him, too.

I think that is the way it is supposed to work. I am called to submit to you out of reverence for Christ. I am so thankful that we serve the one true God together.

Thank you, DR, for leading well. I delight in following you...to the ends of the earth!


Love, Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS