Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Longest Day

I swear the absolute LONGEST day of the year is the first day of school. I simply do not know what to do with myself when the boys aren't around. One thing I have learned...I am not going home! Not until I pick them up after school and can take them with me. The house is WAY too empty without them. So here I sit in one of my favorite family owned coffee shops drowning my sorrows in coffee and scones. I did not cry AT school, but I did lose it while driving them there. I prattled on with sentiments that were entirely lost on eleven and twelve year old boys who were more concerned about what they would eat for lunch and the fact that middle schoolers no longer get recess.

I do LOVE their school! I have never been a parent at a public middle school, but as about 15 parents hung out in their classroom this morning, not wanting to leave, I could not imagine that scene playing out in a public school. Instead of shoo-ing us out, their teachers invited us to participate in their ice-breaker activity, which we all did without humiliating any of our kids. Finally, it seemed as if they (the teachers and the students) wanted to get on with the day, and unless we wanted to go to math class, it was time for the parents leave.

Well, it's 10:38...two hours and eight minutes down, four hours and 37 minutes to go. Let's see. I do have some errands to run. And then a lunch appointment. And then probably more sorrow drowning in coffee before 3:15 pm and my joyful reunion with my boys. I think I need a hobby!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS